I am Lead Scientist of the HUMAINT project at the Centre for Advanced Studies, Joint Research Centre, European Commission. I am currently on leave as Associate Professor (Tenured, Serra-Húnter and ICREA Academia fellow) and Deputy Director (Doctorate) of the Department of Information and Communication Technologies (DTIC), Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF). I lead the MIR (Music Information Research) lab of the Music Technology Group (MTG).
I graduated as a Telecommunication Engineer specialised in Signal Processing at Universidad de Sevilla. Then, I received a DEA in Acoustics, Signal Processing and Computer Science applied to Music (ATIAM) at IRCAM, Paris. In 2006, I completed my PhD in Computer Science and Digital Communication at the UPF, on the topic of Tonal Description of Music Audio Signals. I have been visiting researcher at Speech, Music and Hearing, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden (2003), Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Music Media and Technology, McGill University, Montreal, Canada (2010) and Centre for Digital Music, Queen Mary University of London (2015).
My main research interests are related to music information retrieval (MIR), in particular melodic and tonal description of music audio signals. I am also interested on the interaction between humans and algorithms and the impact of artificial intelligence on our cognitive capabilities and decision making processes.
I am president of the International Society for Music Information Retrieval and I am particularly involved in promoting the role of, and increasing opportunities for, women in the MIR field.
I have co-authored >120 peer-reviewed publications, all available here and contributed to a high number of funded projects. In my research, I have contributed to the creation of open research datasets and software packages. I was also a co-founder of the MTG spin-off company BMAT.
- Medal of the City of Seville in the Category of Education and Research (2018).
- President of the International Society for Music Information Retrieval (2017).
- Award to Professional Career, Premios Andaluces de Telecomunicaciones, Colegio de Ingenieros de Telecomunicación de Andalucía Occidental y Ceuta, 2017.
- Member of advisory board, FAST-IMPACT project (2015-2019) EPSRC, coordinated by Queen Mary University of London, UK.
- Member of the board of trustees, Fundación Goñi y Rey, Sevilla (2016).
- ICREA (Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies) Academia Award, 2015-2010.
- Accésit Dona TIC Award, category: academic/researcher, Tertúlia Digital – Generalitat de Catalunya Cámara de Comercio de Barcelona PIMEC, Telecos.cat y Colegio Oficial de Informáticos de Catalunya,
- Best Open Source Software Award (to Essentia library, where I contributed to some algorithms), ACM Multimedia, 2013
- Teaching innovation award, Degree on Audiovisual Systems Engineering, Social Council, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, 2012.
- Segundo Premio Rosina Ribalta, Fundación EPSON, to best PhD project in Information and Communication Technologies: quality and methodology, scientific interest and social, merits of the candidate, 2006.
Contact: you can contact or follow me through twitter/gmail/skype/linkedin. My username is emiliagogu