I am an associate professor (Serra-Húnter and ICREA Academia fellow) and Deputy Director (Doctorate) of the Department of Information and Communication Technologies (DTIC), Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF). I lead the MIR (Music Information Research) lab of the Music Technology Group (MTG).
I graduated as a Telecommunication Engineer specialised in Signal Processing at Universidad de Sevilla. Then, I received a DEA in Acoustics, Signal Processing and Computer Science applied to Music (ATIAM) at IRCAM, Paris. In 2006, I completed my PhD in Computer Science and Digital Communication at the UPF, on the topic of Tonal Description of Music Audio Signals. I have been visiting researcher at Speech, Music and Hearing, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden (2003), Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Music Media and Technology, McGill University, Montreal, Canada (2010) and Centre for Digital Music, Queen Mary University of London (2015).
My main research interests are related to music information retrieval (MIR), in particular melodic and tonal description of music audio signals, computer-assisted music analysis and computational ethnomusicology.
I am president elect of the International Society for Music Information Retrieval and I am particularly involved in promoting the role of, and increasing opportunities for, women in the MIR field.
If you want to read some more about me, read these interviews in press.
- Premio a la Trayectoria Profesional, Premios Andaluces de Telecomunicaciones, Colegio de Ingenieros de Telecomunicación de Andalucía Occidental y Ceuta, 2017.
- President elect of the International Society for Music Information Retrieval (2015).
- Member of advisory board, FAST-IMPACT project (2015-2019) EPSRC, coordinated by Queen Mary University of London.
- Member of the board of trustees, Fundación Goñi y Rey, Sevilla (2016).
- ICREA Academia Award, 2015-2010.
- Accésit Dona TIC Award, category: academic/researcher, Tertúlia Digital – Generalitat de Catalunya Cámara de Comercio de Barcelona PIMEC, Telecos.cat y Colegio Oficial de Informáticos de Catalunya,
- Best Open Source Software Award (to Essentia library, where I contributed to some algorithms), ACM Multimedia, 2013
- Teaching innovation award, Degree on Audiovisual Systems Engineering, Social Council, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, 2012.
- Segundo Premio Rosina Ribalta, Fundación EPSON, to best PhD project in Information and Communication Technologies: quality and methodology, scientific interest and social, merits of the candidate, 2006.
Music Technology Group
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Roc Boronat, 138
Tànger, 122-140, 3rd floor
Contact: you can contact or follow me through twitter/gmail/skype/linkedin. My username is emiliagogu