I lead the HUMAINT project that studies the impact of Artificial Intelligence (AI) on human behaviour, carried out at the Centre for Advanced Studies, Joint Research Centre, European Commission (EC). The project is linked to the AI WATCH initiative of the EC to monitor the advancements, uptake and impact of AI in Europe.
I am also a Guest Professor (Full Professor Habilitation, Serra-Húnter and ICREA Academia) of the Department of Information and Communication Technologies, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona, where I lead the Music Information Research lab of the Music Technology Group and coordinate the TROMPA (Towards Richer Online Music Public-domain Archives) H2020 project.
I graduated as a Telecommunication Engineer at Universidad de Sevilla. Then, I received a DEA in Acoustics, Signal Processing and Computer Science applied to Music (ATIAM) at IRCAM, Paris. In 2006, I completed my PhD at the UPF, on the topic of Tonal Description of Music Audio Signals. I have been visiting researcher at Speech, Music and Hearing, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden (2003), Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Music Media and Technology, McGill University, Montreal, Canada (2010) and Centre for Digital Music, Queen Mary University of London (2015).
My research background is on the Music Information Retrieval field. I try to understand the way humans describe music and emulate those descriptions with artificial systems dealing with big data. Starting from music, I research on the impact of artificial intelligence (AI) into human behaviour. In particular, we look at the impact of AI on our jobs, decisions and children´s cognitive and socio-emotional development.
I have co-authored >130 peer-reviewed publications, open datasets and software packages. I have supervised 7 PhD theses (8 ongoing) and contributed to a high number of funded projects (4 as PI). I was also a co-founder of the MTG spin-off company BMAT. My work is recognized by citations, media appearances, honours and awards.
I was the first women president of the International Society for Music Information Retrieval and I am particularly involved in promoting the role of, and increasing opportunities for, women and improve diversity of the MIR and AI fields.
- Member of the “National Council for Artificial Intelligence“, Spanish Ministry of Economy and Digital Transformation (2020).
- Selected by Commissioner Mariya Grabriel for the #EUwomen4future initiative in science, research and innovation. Profile info here.
- 1 of 100 Brilliant Women in AI Ethics to Follow in 2019 and beyond, Becoming human AI mention (2019).
- Medal of the City of Seville in the Category of Education and Research (2018).
- President of the International Society for Music Information Retrieval(2017-2019).
- Award to Professional Career, Premios Andaluces de Telecomunicaciones, Colegio de Ingenieros de Telecomunicación de Andalucía Occidental y Ceuta, 2017.
- Member of advisory board, FAST-IMPACT project (2015-2019) EPSRC, coordinated by Queen Mary University of London, UK.
- Member of the board of trustees, Fundación Goñi y Rey, Sevilla (2016).
- ICREA (Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies) Academia Award, 2015-2010.
- Accésit Dona TIC Award, category: academic/researcher, Tertúlia Digital – Generalitat de Catalunya Cámara de Comercio de Barcelona PIMEC, Telecos.cat y Colegio Oficial de Informáticos de Catalunya,
- Best Open Source Software Award (to Essentia library, where I contributed to some algorithms), ACM Multimedia, 2013
- Teaching innovation award, Degree on Audiovisual Systems Engineering, Social Council, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, 2012.
- Segundo Premio Rosina Ribalta, Fundación EPSON, to best PhD project in Information and Communication Technologies: quality and methodology, scientific interest and social, merits of the candidate, 2006.
Contact: you can contact or follow me through twitter/gmail/skype/linkedin. My username is emiliagogu